This delicious butterscotch shortcrust pie is filled with sweet sliced apples.
- 3 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 20g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 medium granny smith apples, peeled, sliced
- 2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Step 1:Grease a 20cm springform pan. Cut 1 sheet of pastry into 4 strips, lengthways. Place a strip along each edge of second pastry sheet, pressing lightly to join to make one large square. Ease prepared pastry into pan, pressing into base. Trim edges. Prick pastry with fork and chill for 30 mins.
- Step 2:Meanwhile, place brown sugar, syrup and butter in a large saucepan. Stir on low until melted and smooth. Simmer for 2 mins. Place flour and spices in a large bowl. Add apple, toss to coat. Add to syrup. Stir to coat. Simmer for 20 mins stirring occasionally until apples are just tender.
- Step 3:Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan. Line shell with non-stick baking paper. Fill with rice. Blind bake for 15 mins. Remove rice and paper, bake for 5 mins.
- Step 4:Spoon apples into pastry shell. Using a 4cm round cutter, cut about 30 rounds from remaining pastry. Starting from the outside edge of the pie, arrange rounds, overlapping slightly over apple filling. Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle over caster sugar. Bake for 30-40 mins until golden and crisp. Serve apple pie in wedges with ice cream.