The flavor of apple pie, blended into a healthy Apple Smoothie! Rich, creamy and vegan, it’s made with apple, oatmeal, peanut butter and spices (no yogurt!)
- 1 medium sweet apple — washed with peel on
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen banana — about ½ of a large banana or 8, ¾-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter — or almond butter
- 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup — plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon — plus additional for serving
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground allspice
- Small handful ice
- To core the apple: Wash and dry the apple, and leave the peel on. Stand the apple on its base. Place your knife on top, near the stem. Cut straight down along the core. The first side of the apple will come off. Set it aside. Lay the apple flat, cut-side down. Cut off the right and left sides, keeping your knife as near the core as possible. Turn the apple, and cut off the one remaining side. You should have a long, rectangular piece that contains the core, and 4 nice big chunks (the ones you cut away). Discard the core. Cut the four pieces into 1-inch chunks. Place it in a blender.
- To the blender, add the remaining ingredients in the order listed: almond milk, oatmeal, banana, peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and allspice. Blend until smooth. Add a small handful of ice, then blend again. For an even thicker smoothie, add a few ice cubes and blend again. For a thinner smoothie, add more milk. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon as desired and enjoy!