- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 oz) bottle light beer
- In a stockpot, sauté garlic and onion until soft and onions are translucent.
- Add flour; cook, stirring constantly over medium heat about 4-5 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth, milk, thyme, and paprika and cook stirring frequently until mixture thickens slightly; about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses gradually, small handfuls at a time, and cook just until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat, stir in beer and serve topped with croutons and extra cheese, if desired.