- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 16 ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cubed, peeled potato (1 medium)
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half or light cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 – 4 tablespoons bottled cayenne pepper sauce (Frank’s Red Hot)
- Chopped celery and/or crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- Step 1:In a large saucepan, cook onion, sweet pepper and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in corn, broth and potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Step 2:Stir together half-and-half and flour until combined. Add to corn mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in 1/2 cup blue cheese and Swiss cheese and heat until melted and smooth. Stir in bottled pepper sauce. If desired, top with chopped celery and additional crumbled blue cheese.