Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 pound fettuccine noodles
1 cup 2 percent milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, lightly smashed
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
Olive oil, for searing the shrimp
15 to 20 peeled medium shrimp
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook at a low boil until very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the cauliflower with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain in a colander, reserving the boiling water for the pasta.
- Add the fettuccine to the boiling water and cook according to the package instructions (usually about 10 minutes).
- Make the sauce while the pasta cooks. In a blender, combine the cauliflower with the milk and puree until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat the butter and garlic until the butter melts. Add the cauliflower puree and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the garlic. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Turn off the heat and stir in the Parmesan.
- Heat a separate skillet over medium-high heat and add some olive oil. Sear the shrimp briefly on both sides until just cooked through.
- Use tongs to remove the pasta from the water and transfer to the skillet with the sauce. Add 1/3 cup pasta water. Turn the heat back to medium and toss to combine until the pasta is evenly coated with the sauce. Add the shrimp and garnish with the parsley.