- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 750g chicken thighs, halved
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils of choice
- 2 pinches of saffron threads (optional)
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped plus extra to serve
- Pumpkin mash, to serve
- 1. In a large flame-proof casserole dish, heat half the oil on high. Brown chicken for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate.
- 2. In the same casserole dish, heat remaining oil. Sauté onion, fennel, garlic and cumin for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- 3. Return chicken to pan, and add stock, tomatoes, lentils and saffron. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, then cook, covered, for 60-65 minutes until chicken is cooked thoroughly and lentils are tender.
- 4. To serve, stir coriander and parsley through. Top with extra parsley and accompany with pumpkin mash on the side.
- Fresh Tip: Wash, dry and roast your leftover pumpkin seeds for a healthy snack. Add a little salt, olive oil
- and spice for extra flavour.
- PER SERVE
- • Energy 2082Kj • Protein 52g • Total Fat 16g • Saturated Fat 4g • Carbohydrates 30g • Sugars 7g • Sodium 499mg
- Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.
- * Check stock is gluten free and the pumpkin mash dairy free.