- 1L (4 cups) chicken consomme
- 2 (about 200g each) single chicken breastfillets
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 1 x 420g can creamed corn
- 1 x 300g can corn kernels, rinsed, drained
- 100g shaved ham, thinly sliced
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Step 1:Place the consomme and chicken in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a heatproof bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Finely shred.
Step 2:Add the soy sauce and ginger to the consomme mixture. Place the cornflour in a small bowl and gradually stir in the water until smooth and combined. Gradually stir the cornflour mixture into the consomme mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until consomme thickens slightly. Add the chicken, creamed corn, corn and ham and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until hot.
Step 3:Use a fork to whisk the egg whites in a small bowl. Gradually pour the egg whites into the soup, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.