Look no further than your grill for healthy and easy chicken fajitas—throw them over romaine hearts for added crunch.
Tip: Grilling avocado adds a smoky depth to this buttery fruit, but it only needs a minute or two—if cooked too long, it can begin to taste bitter.
2 8-oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt and pepper
2 peppers (orange and yellow), quartered lengthwise
1 jalapeño, halved lengthwise
1 medium onion, sliced into 1/2″ thick rounds
3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. honey
2 packed cups cilantro (trimmed, including thin stems)
2 small hearts romaine, leaves separated, halved if large
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the peppers and onion with 1 tablespoon oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and gently rub with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Grill the chicken until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes per side; transfer to a cutting board. Grill the vegetables until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes per side, transferring them to a cutting board as they are done. Grill the avocado, cut side down, until charred, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slice the peppers, separate the onions into rings, and dice the avocado. Let the chicken rest until ready to serve, then slice.
- Finely grate the zest of 1 lime into a blender. Squeeze in 6 tablespoon lime juice. Add the honey, cilantro, and remaining 2 tablespoon oil and purée until smooth.
- Toss the romaine with 1/4 cup of the dressing and top with the sliced peppers, onions, avocado, and chicken. Serve with the remaining dressing.