Layer gooey caramel and rich chocolate ganache into a hazelnut crust for a decadent dessert everyone will love.
6 tbsp. hazelnuts
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
6 tbsp. sugar, divided
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. light corn syrup
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut up
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. heavy cream
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. hazelnuts, halved
Flaky sea salt
Edible gold flakes
- Heat oven to 350°F. Make crust: Place hazelnuts on small rimmed baking sheet and roast until starting to turn golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to large kitchen towel, bunch into sack, and rub until most of skins have been removed; let cool.
- Lightly butter a 13 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch rectangular removable-bottom tart pan. In food processor, pulse hazelnuts and 2 tablespoons sugar to form fine crumbs. Add butter and pulse to combine. Add flour, remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, and salt and pulse to combine. Press into bottom and up side of prepared tart pan and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place tart pan on baking sheet. Prick crust all over with fork and bake until light golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Make caramel: Place sugar, corn syrup, and 3 tablespoons water in heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Without stirring, cook on medium-high until bubbles start to form at edges, about 1 minute; swirl pan. Bring to a simmer, then increase heat to high and boil, swirling pan often, until mixture is a rich caramel color, about 5 minutes. Immediately remove from heat, add butter and salt, and swirl pan to melt.
- Return pan to medium heat, add cream (it will bubble up), and whisk until smooth, slightly thickened, and a deep amber color, about 1 minute. Pour into cooled tart shell and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- Make chocolate: Place chocolate in medium bowl. Heat cream in small saucepan until hot but not boiling. Pour over chocolate and let stand 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Pour in even layer over caramel and refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with halved hazelnuts, flaky salt, pomegranate seeds, and gold flakes, if desired.