Serve your guests with this coconut cake – a perfect Christmas dessert.
2 3/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1cup butter, softened
1 1/2teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2teaspoons almond extract
1 cup milk
1 1/2cups sugar
1/2teaspoon cream of tartar
6large marshmallows, cut into small pieces
1/4cup reduced-fat (lite) coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
2to 3 cups flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with shortening; lightly flour. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- 2In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extract. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating just until blended. Divide batter evenly among pans.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- 4In heavy 2-quart saucepan, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar and the water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is clear. Cook, without stirring, to 240°F on candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on low speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high; pour hot syrup into egg white mixture. Add marshmallows, a few pieces at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and frosting is thick enough to spread.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave 2 tablespoons sugar and the coconut milk on High 1 minute; stir until sugar dissolves. Brush half of the coconut milk mixture over 1 cake layer to within 1/2 inch of edge. Frost with 1 cup of the frosting; sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the coconut. Top with second cake layer; brush with remaining coconut milk mixture. Frost with 1 cup frosting; sprinkle with 1/2 cup coconut. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting on top and side of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut.