This chocolate pudding is the perfect balance of richness and textures. It’s easy, yet impressive and you can even make it ahead before your guests arrive
- 60g butter, plus extra for the ramekins
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g 70% dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- ½ tsp malt powder (we used Ovaltine)
- 100ml double cream
- 2 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp malt powder
- 9 Maltesers, crushed into large chunks
- 3 glacé cherries, cut in half
- 1 tbsp chopped salted pistachios
- Butter three ramekins, dust with cocoa and set aside. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, then whisk in the chocolate mixture with the malt powder and a pinch of salt. Divide the mixture between the ramekins and bake for 14 mins until they are just cooked with a slight wobble in the middle to make a fondant, or 18 mins for a pudding. Remove from the oven, turn out and serve warm now, or leave to cool in their ramekins.
- Whisk the cream, sugar and malt powder together to soft peaks. Carefully turn the puddings out onto plates, then pile on the Maltesers, cherries and pistachios, and serve with the malted cream.