For the Filling:
- 2 cups cooked chicken (rotisserie or boiled), diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Crust:
- 2 store-bought pie crusts (or make your own if you prefer)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet or saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir well to coat. Cook for 1-2 minutes to remove the raw flour taste.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook until the mixture thickens, which should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the diced chicken, frozen peas, frozen corn, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, allowing all the flavors to combine. Remove from heat.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it in the bottom of a pie dish.
- Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture into the pie dish.
- Roll out the second pie crust and place it on top of the filling. Trim any excess dough and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
- Beat the egg and brush it over the top crust to create a golden finish.
- Cut a few small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow the chicken pot pie to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your homemade comfort food!
This Chicken Pot Pie is a classic favorite with a creamy, savory filling encased in a flaky pie crust. It’s perfect for a cozy dinner or a special occasion.