There’s no need to wait for a large piece of stew meat to tenderize for hours when your Instant Pot can do it in 25 minutes. It’s a warm comforting bowl of hearty beef stew with very little effort and wayyy less time. It’s exactly what you need an a cold winter’s night.
3 tbsp. canola oil
3 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. tomato paste
5 bay leaves
1 1/2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
4 large carrots, cut into 2″ pieces
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 (10-oz.) bag frozen peas
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté, then select More. Wait for pot to heat up, then add oil. Add half the stew meat to pot and season with salt and lots of pepper to taste. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove meat from pot. Repeat with remaining meat.
- Cook onion and garlic until deeply golden. Add tomato paste and cook, mixing constantly until darkened in color and starts sticking to pot, about 4 minutes. Deglaze with 2 cups water.
- Place all meat into pot along with bay leaves, potatoes, and carrots. Stir to combine.
- Seal Instant Pot and set to Manual High Pressure for 25 minutes.
- Follow manufacturer’s guide for quick release, making sure to wait until cycle is complete before unlocking and removing lid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup cooking liquid and flour. Stir mixture back into pot and set Instant Pot to Sauté. Simmer for 3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Stir peas into pot and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes more until peas are bright green. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.