- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 bell peppers – red, orange, green and yellow bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 onion, small red, or half of a large one, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, Roma, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the toasts:
- 1 long narrow loaf of Italian bread, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. add onion and bell peppers, all at once. Cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, tomato, balsamic vinegar and basil and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve now, or refrigerate for later or freeze now.
IF SERVING NOW – Prepare the crostini toasts:
- Lay out the Italian bread slices on a cookie sheet. Lightly brush each bread with olive oil. The new silicone brushes are great. They wash up really easy.
- Put the cookie sheet under broil. Don’t do anything else. Just stand there and keep checking the bread and don’t let burn. It only takes a couple of minutes.
- After the toasts are lightly browned, remove from the oven. They are ready to use anytime.
- Pile high with bruschetta and serve!
- You can make ahead and keep the toasts in the refrigerator for later use too. Like, if the party is tomorrow or in a few days.