RED VELVET PANCAKES
2 cups red velvet cake mix
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup whole milk
Nonstick spray, for cooking
CREAM CHEESE ICING
6 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
4 tablespoons heavy cream
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Make the pancakes: In a large bowl, whisk the cake mix with the butter, egg and milk to combine. Work out any lumps with the whisk to make sure the batter is smooth.
2. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot, spritz it with nonstick spray and reduce the heat to low (to prevent the pancakes from becoming too dark).
3. Working in batches, ladle the batter into the skillet and cook until bubbles begin to rise from the center of the pancakes, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the pancakes and continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove the pancakes to a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm.
4. Make the icing: Using a whisk or hand mixer, combine the cream cheese with the sugar, cream and vanilla.
5. To serve, pile the pancakes onto plates and top generously with icing.