- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 3 cup (660g) caster sugar
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- 90 gram butter
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar mixture
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 1-Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 26.5cm x 33cm (14-cup) baking dish and line base with baking paper.
- 2-In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, butter and combined sifted cocoa powder and soda. Stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil then reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- 3-Add flour and egg to cooled mixture; beat with electric mixer until mixture is smooth and changed to a paler colour. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- 4-Bake about 50 minutes. Stand cake in baking dish 10 minutes, before turning onto wire rack; turn cake top-side up to cool.
- 5-Meanwhile, make frosting: combine butter, water and caster sugar in small saucepan. Stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves.
- 6-Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder into small bowl then gradually stir in hot butter mixture. Cover and refrigerate about 20 minutes or until frosting thickens. Beat with wooden spoon until spreadable.
- 7-Spread cold cake with fudge frosting.