- 48 gingersnap cookies (look for thicker cookies)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- a splash of pure vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- maldon sea salt flakes
- Using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer, combine the cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip until thick.
- Prepare 12 jumbo cupcake liners and place a gingersnap in the bottom of each. Top the cookie with a spoonful of whipped cream then layer with a second cookie. Repeat until each cupcake liner has four cookies topped with cream. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours. When the cupcakes are ready, they will be easy to slice and have a cake-like texture.
- To make the Salted Caramel Sugar, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour 3/4 cup sugar into a heavy bottomed pan and spread evenly. Heat over medium-low heat, watching constantly and carefully.
- The sugar will begin to liquefy along the edges first. Watch it carefully as it liquefies, using a high heat spatula to break up any clumps. When it has liquefied completely and resembles a shiny penny in color, remove from heat. Temperature should be about 340 to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour evenly onto the prepared parchment paper and sprinkle generously with sea salt flakes.
- The sugar will have hardened in about 5 minutes, at which point you can crush it up and sprinkle it on top of the cupcakes.