12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup canola oil
10 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stick unsalted butter
1 large lemon, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves, plus extra for garnish
- Put the shrimp in a large baking dish.
- Combine the canola oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel seed in a small food processor and process until the garlic is somewhat paste-like. Pour this mixture over the shrimp and let them marinate for 30 minutes.
- Light a grill to high heat.
- Strain the shrimp from the marinade and season them with salt and black pepper, to taste. Grill the shrimp on both sides until they are slightly charred and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side (see Cook’s Note). Transfer the shrimp to a plate.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan set over the grates of the grill. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, tarragon and thyme leaves and cook for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and cook, tossing once, about 1 minute. Finish with the parsley and adjust the seasonings, if necessary. Transfer the shrimp to a serving platter and garnish with thyme and parsley.