- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes with juice, or diced
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
- Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic in olive oil until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in spices and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour adding more broth if needed.
- Discard bay leaf and add cilantro to taste.