Italian sauces are amazingly delicious and are crucial to a number of Italian dishes. Anything from spaghetti and meatballs to fettuccini alfredo to pesto lasagna is nothing without a delicious sauce. Several people are intimidated when it comes to making a sauce for their Italian dishes. Many rather leave it to Nonna but making a tasty sauce is quite easy as long as you have a solid recipe. Here is how to make some of the best Italian sauces.
To make a delicious alfredo you need to start with high quality ingredients. These ingredients are:
cup heavy cream
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon garlic powder (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan melt butter.
2. Add heavy cream when butter is almost fully melted.
3. Mix butter and heavy cream well.
4. Add grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Also add garlic powder if wanted.
5.Stir until well mixed.
6. Remove from flame and set aside to thicken.
7. Serve over your favorite pasta.
A tasty tomato sauce can be paired with a variety of dishes. Whether it is lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs or pizza you need a delectable sauce.
ounces (2 28 oz cans) of tomato puree
2 cloves garlic
1 can of peeled plum tomatoes (28oz)
1 small diced onion
1 teaspoon basil
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Sauté diced onions and garlic in extra virgin olive oil.
2. Pour plum tomatoes into a large bowl and squash with hands.
3. Add all ingredients into a large pot and simmer for three hours.
4. Serve with your favorite dishes or store for later use.
Pesto is an amazing Italian sauce that originates from Genoa traditionally consisting of garlic, basil and pine nuts. Making your own pesto at home is quick, easy and only requires a few ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store.
cups fresh basil leaves
¼ cup pine nuts
2 garlic cloves
2/3 cups extra virgin olive oil
½ cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Add basil, pine nuts and garlic into a food processor.
2. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
3. Add extra virgin olive oil until mixture is smooth.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Creamy Tomato Sauce (Pink Sauce)
Pink sauce is a wonderful variation of the traditional tomato sauce. It is very easy to make and tastes sensational.
cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
29 ounces canned peeled plum tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon oregano
Pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In a medium sauce pan sauté in olive oil over a medium flame.
2. Add tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper, sugar and Italian seasoning into a blender.
3. Pulse until desired texture is achieved. (some prefer a smooth sauce while others do not)
4. Add tomato mixture to sautéed garlic and olive oil.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes on medium low.
6. Wisk in butter and heavy cream.
7. Heat for about ten minutes. Do not allow it to come to a boil.
8. Finish with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve over your favorite pasta and finish with Parmesan cheese.
Overall, making Italian sauces is easy. A solid recipe and high quality ingredients are all you need to make a great sauce that will impress your friends and family. Why not invite everyone over for an Italian feast so they can try all of your prepared sauces. They will be begging you for the recipes. Aside from just serving these sauces with pasta be creative and come up with recipes of your own. Italian sauces go great with chicken, steak and can be incorporated into a variety of entrees and appetizers. The best thing to do is experiment and have fun in the kitchen. You never know, your sauce may even earn Nonna’s approval.