Nonstick cooking spray
6 slices bacon, cut 1/2-inch thick
2 1/4 pounds russet potatoes (about 4), scrubbed clean and cut into 1-inch chunks
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups shredded Cheddar
2/3 cup sour cream
2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a 3-quart casserole dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crispy, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- Put the potatoes into the prepared casserole dish. Toss with the reserved 2 tablespoons bacon drippings, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast until the potatoes are soft and begin to brown, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cream cheese and 1 cup Cheddar in a bowl until well combined. Dollop over the potatoes, then sprinkle with the remaining cup Cheddar and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the potatoes are completely cooked through when poked with a knife, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Dollop the sour cream evenly over the casserole and sprinkle with the scallions and bacon pieces.