wThis Oreo Cake has two layers a rich, moist chocolate cake filled and covered in a light Oreo whipped cream frosting! It makes a great birthday cake.
For the cake
- 1½ cups (6.25 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (7 oz) sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (.75 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Oreo whipped cream:
- 50 Oreo cookies finely crushed
- 4½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the cake
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed until well combined. Pour batter in a greased 9-inch baking pan (or two, if you don’t want to split the cake later).
- Bake 20-25 minutes (12-15 minutes if you’re doing 2 pans) or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely, and place in the freezer for 1/2 hour before assembling.
For the Oreo whipped cream
- Carefully cut 6 Oreo cookies in half; set aside. Chop remaining cookies into 1/4-inch pieces; set aside.
- Make the Oreo whipped cream in 2 batches. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with whip attachment, whip 2 cups cream on medium-high speed to soft peak, spoon into large bowl. In same mixer bowl, whip remaining 2½ cups cream, sugar, and vanilla to soft peak. Fold into already whipped cream.
- Place about 1 cup whipped cream in a different bowl and refrigerate until ready to decorate cake. Fold crushed Oreos into remaining whipped cream.
For the cake assembly
- Remove cake from the freezer. Slice cake in half horizontally to create 2 layers. Place bottom layer on serving plate. Spread about 1/3 of Oreo whipped cream onto cake. Top with second cake layer and use remaining Oreo whipped cream to frost top and sides of cake. Chill in refrigerator for about 2 hours to allow cookies to soften.
- Place reserved whipped cream in pastry bag fitted with star tip (re-whisk if necessary). Pipe 12 whipped cream rosettes around perimeter of cake and garnish with reserved Oreo cookie halves. Serve.