- 1 cup fresh passionfruit pulp (approx. 12 passionfruit)
- 125g chilled butter, chopped
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 200g packet shortbread biscuit, crushed
- ½ cup coconut flakes, toasted
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs whites
- For the passionfruit curd, strain passionfruit pulp through a sieve. Return 1/4 cup of seeds to strained juice (you will need ¾ cup total passionfruit)
- Combine passionfruit, butter, sugar and egg yolks in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for about 10-12 minutes, until thickens to coat the back of a wooden spoon (Do not boil or mixture will curdle). Transfer to a bowl and chill for 2 hours, until thickened
- Meanwhile make the biscuit crumb and the meringue.
- Place the biscuits and coconut in a zip-lock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- To make the meringue, combine 2/3 cup of sugar with ¼ cup of water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Increase heat to medium and bring to boil. Cook, without stirring for about 6 minutes, until mixture reaches 110°C on a sugar thermometer
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Beat in remaining sugar for 1 minute, until smooth. Gradually pour hot syrup into egg whites in a thin steady stream, beating constantly, until well combined. Continue beating on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until mixture cools to room temperature. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with 1cm star nozzle
- To assemble, spoon ¼ cup of biscuit crumb mix into the base of four 1 cup-capacity jars. Spoon in ¼ cup of curd. Pipe in an even layer of meringue about the same thickness as curd (about 1/4 cup). Repeat layers, finishing with meringue peaks
- Toast meringue topping with a kitchen blowtorch if you like or serve natural. Chill until ready to serve