- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of superfine sugar.* (You can use less if you prefer for your cake not to be sweet.)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 teaspoons green tea powder (nok-cha karu, matcha)
- Cream cheese frosting (optional, consider the frosting if you plan to use little to no sugar.)
Steps to Make It:
To begin making the cake, turn the oven on and preheat it to 350 F.
Then, in a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, and oil together until the resulting mixture is fluffy and light.
Gently stir Greek yogurt into the mixture. This yogurt has a range of health benefits, including high protein content and probiotics which are great for balancing gut bacteria. Choose the organic variety if it’s available and in your budget range.
After stirring in the yogurt, get a separate bowl, and then sift the flour, baking powder, and green tea powder together.
Next, gently fold the flour mixture into the wet sugar-yogurt mixture.
Then, pour the resulting cake batter into a greased cake pan, smoothing out the top until level.
Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the middle. If there’s batter on the pick, keep the cake in the oven for a few more minutes, checking periodically until it’s done.
If you’re using cream cheese frosting instead of sugar, wait for the cake to cool down before icing it.