- 300g dark (70%) chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (50g) good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 eggs
- 250g sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups (350g) self-raising flour
- 1 firmly packed cup (250g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sunflower oil
- 200g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
- 200g creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
- Freeze-dried raspberries, to serve
- 1/2 bunch (about 150g) rhubarb
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1 titanium-strength gelatine leaf
- 200g dark (70%) chocolate, chopped
- 200ml pure (thin) cream
1-Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease two 20cm round cake pans and line base and sides with baking paper. Place chocolate, cocoa and 1/2 cup (125ml) water in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water) and stir until melted and smooth. Cool to room temperature, then whisk in eggs, sour cream and 1 tsp vanilla.
2-Place flour and sugars in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until combined. Add oil, butter and 1 cup (250ml) chocolate mixture, and beat on low to combine. Add remaining chocolate mixture and beat to combine.
- Divide between prepared pans and smooth surface with the back of a spoon. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a cake comes out clean. Set aside in pans to cool completely, then brush each cake with Chambord.
- For the rhubarb jam, place rhubarb, sugar, vanilla pod and seeds and 2 tbs water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until rhubarb breaks down.
- Meanwhile, soak gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes to soften. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, then add to rhubarb jam, stirring until melted and combined. Set aside to cool completely at room temperature.
- To make the chocolate ganache, place chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water) and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, whisk creme fraiche, cream and remaining 1 tsp vanilla together to stiff peaks. Place 1 cake on a cake stand and top with creme fraiche mixture, then spread over rhubarb jam. Top with second cake and spoon over chocolate ganache. Scatter with freezedried raspberries to serve.