- I used a 9-inch glass pie dish for this recipe– but in Spain, we improvise! Adjust bake time for a smaller dish.
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1¼ heaping cups of flour (you may need more)
- 4 eggs
- 1¼ cups of sugar
- Grated zest from one lemon
- 2 cups of finely ground almonds
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh fruit (not traditional but I love it)
- Beat the egg and sugar with one tablespoon of hot water until the mixture is creamy.
- Fold in the flour using a rubber spatula, until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. You many need more flour to achieve the right consistency.
- Pulse the almonds in a food processor until finely ground, however be careful not to turn the mixture to almond butter by over processing.
- Beat the eggs and sugar for about one minute until creamy.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the lemon zest and ground almonds.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface and then fit into a well greased baking mold.
- Prick with a fork and then pour the filling over the base.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the cake is golden brown.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan, and then transfer to a serving dish.
- Decorate with powdered sugar and fruit if desired.