- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 9 tablespoons 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, diced
- 18 ounces bittersweet not unsweetened or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used good quality chocolate chips)
- 6 large eggs
- For the ganache:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet not unsweetened or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used good quality chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch-diameter springform pan with baking spray.Wrap 3 layers of heavy-duty foil around outside of pan, bringing foil to top of rim. Combine 1 cup water and sugar in small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Whisk sugar syrup into chocolate; cool slightly. Add eggs to chocolate mixture and whisk until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cake pan in large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cake pan.
- Bake cake until center no longer moves when pan is gently shaken, about 45-50 minutes. Remove from water bath; transfer to rack. Cool completely in pan.
- For the ganache, bring whipping cream to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cake still in pan. Gently shake pan to distribute ganache evenly over top of cake. Refrigerate cake in pan until ganache is set, about 2 hours. Can be made ahead up to 2 days. Cover and keep refrigerated.
- Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake; release sides. Cut cake into wedges and serve with whipped cream and/or your choice of toppings.