- 300g / 10oz whole prawns / shrimp with heads and shells on (Note 7)
- 3 cup (750 ml) water3 cup (750 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock/broth , low sodium1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock/broth , low sodium
- 2 stalks of lemongrass , outer layers peeled(Note 1)2 stalks of lemongrass , outer layers peeled(Note 1)
- 1.5 cm / 3/5″ piece of galangal , cut into 4 slices (Note 2)1.5 cm / 3/5″ piece of galangal , cut into 4 slices (Note 2)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves , torn roughly (Note 3)5 kaffir lime leaves , torn roughly (Note 3)
- 2 Thai or birdseye chillies (Note 4)2 Thai or birdseye chillies (Note 4)
- 3 garlic cloves3 garlic cloves
SOUP ADD INS:
- 120g / 4oz oyster mushrooms120g / 4oz oyster mushrooms
- 1 roma tomato , cut into wedges1 roma tomato , cut into wedges
- 1/2 white onion (medium sized), cut into wedges about 1 cm thick1/2 white onion (medium sized), cut into wedges about 1 cm thick
- 1 tsp sugar1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce (Note 5)3 tbsp fish sauce (Note 5)
- 3 tbsp lime juice3 tbsp lime juice
- Coriander/cilantro , for garnishCoriander/cilantro , for garnish
CREAMY TOM YUM OPTION:
- 1 1/2 tbsp Thai roasted chili sauce (Nam Prik Pa, Note 6)1 1/2 tbsp Thai roasted chili sauce (Nam Prik Pa, Note 6)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) evaporated milk1/3 cup (75 ml) evaporated milk
- Peel the prawns. Place heads and shell in pot, reserve meat.
- Use a meat mallet or similar to bash the garlic, chilli and lemongrass so they burst open to release flavour. Add into pot.
- Crush kaffir lime leaves with your hands. Add into pot.
- Add galangal, stock and water. Bring to simmer on high heat, cover, then reduce to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the broth, discard the prawn shells etc, then return broth into same pot over low heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms, simmer 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, simmer for 1 minute.
- Add prawns, simmer 2 minutes or until just cooked.
- Stir in sugar and fish sauce, simmer for 1 minute.
- Add lime juice, then taste. Adjust sweet (sugar), salt (fish sauce) and sour (lime) to your taste (trust me, you’ll know when you like it!).
- Ladle into bowls and serve with fresh coriander and fresh chilli! This is the CLEAR version of Tom Yum.
CREAMY TOM YUM:
- When you add sugar, also add Thai Chilli Paste and evaporated milk.
- Then continue with recipe!
BONUS: TOM KHA!
- Following Creamy Tom Yum steps but use coconut milk instead of evaporated milk.