- 2 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup blackberry lemon jam
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a small bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and 2 tablespoons of sugar until light and fluffy and form soft peaks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the batter and pour in melted butter and buttermilk. Whisk until mixture is combined and no lumps remain.
- Add 1/4 cup of the blackberry lemon jam to the waffle batter. Stir to mix throughout.
- Gently fold in the egg whites with a spatula. Be careful to mix until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Using a 3/4 cup measuring cup (see notes), scoop batter and pour onto heated waffle iron. Cook until waffle is browned and crispy on the outside, about 5 minutes, or when the timer goes off on the waffle iron.
- Repeat for the remaining waffles. As the waffles are done, place inside microwave or in a warming drawer to keep warm until you serve.
- Once waffles are done cooking, serve with additional blackberry lemon jam on top or with maple syrup.