Do your kids turn their nose up at anything green? Do they groan anytime broccoli shows up on the dinner table? I am blessed with two boys who will eat anything I put in front of them, but I hear from so many parents who say the struggle is real. Well, when all else fails, if you combine that “icky” green stuff with things they love, like rice and cheese, I bet they sing a different tune! Oh, and just for extra kid friendliness, these have ranch dressing in them too! Broccoli and Cheese Rice Muffins are going to become family favorite in no time!
Getting the Kids in the Kitchen
This recipe is not only simple and delicious, it’s also super fun and the kids can even help. Another tip I always give parents who are struggling with picky eaters is to have the kids help cook when possible. Little ones get such a sense of accomplishment from doing things for themselves and many times they will be more willing to try something new if they have had a hand in preparing it. In this recipe they can help microwave the rice, stir—even fill the muffin tin. Those tiny hands will work hard and want to enjoy the spoils!
These are one of those side dishes that go with any meal from chicken to steak, hamburgers, hot dogs, or you could even make a double batch for a meat-free entree. Add some fresh fruit or tossed salad on the side and dinner is done!
If you’re looking for side dishes, and eat more green stuff in 2020, start with these yummy and kid-friendly Broccoli and Cheese Rice Muffins.
Looking for some other tasty broccoli recipes the kids will love? Try these!
Broccoli and Cheese Rice Muffins:
- 1 (12-oz) bag frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided use
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a microwave safe dish, combine water and rice.
- Cover and cook for 7 minutes. (Check your box for directions. These were mine.)
- Transfer rice to large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Add broccoli, ¾ c. cheese, eggs, ranch dressing, salt and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Spray an 8 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Fill each with rice mixture, pressing slightly to pack.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over each cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly brown around edges.
- Allow to cool 2-3 minutes before removing and serving.