This is a great, very flavorful soup. Good for serving at luncheons or special gatherings with a quiche. To make this soup a little fancier, add 1 cup sliced mushrooms and 1 cup white wine with the onions.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (1 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Step 1:In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Step 2:Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk and garlic powder.
- Step 3:In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.