Making strawberry compote is easier than you’d think. All you’re doing is cooking down the fresh berries with sugar and lemon juice. We used it in the batter and frosting to make sure that the cake tastes has the best strawberry flavor possible.
FOR THE CAKE
2 c. all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 c. strawberry compote
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 c. milk
Pink food coloring (optional)
FOR THE FROSTING
2 (8-oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. strawberry compote
6 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch kosher salt
Fresh strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- In a food processor, puree strawberries then add to a small saucepan with sugar and lemon juice. Place over medium low heat. Cook, stirring often, until reduce by about half, about 25 minutes. You should have about 1½ cups of strawberry compote. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease and line two 8” round cake pans. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, with a hand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in strawberry compote and vanilla until fully incorporated then add milk. Add dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. (If you want a super pink cake, stir in some pink food coloring.)
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each comes out clean, 25 minutes. Let cakes cool for 15 minutes then invert onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- Make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until no lumps remain, then beat in strawberry compote. Add powdered sugar and beat until fully incorporated then mix in heavy cream, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Add more heavy cream as necessary to reach your desired consistency.
- Spread a thick layer of frosting on top of one cake layer. Top with second layer of cake, then frost all over sides and top. Garnish with fresh strawberries if using.