- 1 Tbsp. of Oil
- 1 Cup of Onion (chopped)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 2 Tsp. of Fresh Jalapeno (diced)
- 3 Tsp. of Cumin
- 1 Tsp. of Oregano
- 6 Cups of Vegetable Broth
- 2 Cans (10-ounces each) of Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- Juice of a Lime + 1 Lime (cut into wedges)
- 2 Avocados (peeled and cubed)
- 4 Tbsp. of Fresh Cilantro
- Tortilla Strips for Serving
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until they are translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Then add the garlic and jalapeno and sauté for another 2 minutes before adding the cumin and oregano and stirring to coat.
- Pour the broth into the pot along with the tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook on low for 10 minutes, then add the juice of one lime and stir to incorporate.
- Just before serving, ladle soup into bowls and top each with avocado, some chopped cilantro, and tortilla strips. Serve hot with additional lime wedges.