3/4 cup or 175 g softened butter
2/3 Cup or 150 ml Milk
1 cup or 200 g regular sugar
2 Large eggs (lightly beaten)
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup or 150 g Frozen Blueberries (Tossed in flour)
1 3/4 cups or 225 g Plain / All purpose flour (sieved)
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 170c, 325F. Grease and line your baking tin. See here for how to line. ** Please note, if using a Bundt tin, be sure to grease it very well as it can be hard to get the cake out of such a shaped tin.
2. Get all your ingredients ready, i.e zest and juice the lemon, sieve the flour, and add the salt and baking powder to the flour etc.
3. Start with making the cake batter by creaming the butter and sugar until a pale light colour. Place the blueberries in a bag and add a couple of tablespoons of flour. Give it a toss so the blueberries are coated. This will stop them from sinking to the bottom during baking.
4. Slowly add the beaten eggs to the mixer, on a low speed setting, a bit at a time. If the mixture starts to curdle or split, add a spoonful of your sieved flour, keep on adding the eggs, and a bit of flour if necessary, until all the eggs are added.
5. Add the milk with half of the flour, keeping the mixer on a slow speed. Once combined, add the lemon juice, and zest, the rest of the flour. Right at the end, fold in the blueberries.
6 Transfer the cake mixture to the greased and lined loaf tin. Place in the oven for 1 hr to 1 hr and 5 minutes, check after 1 hour. Test if done by placing a skewer in the centre of the cake and make sure it comes out clean. Every oven is different so cook times will vary a little.
***** Please note, if using a Bundt tin, cook time is 45 minutes.
7. Have a cup of tea and wait!