This soup is what an Instant Pot was made for. No need to boil potatoes for a long time or stand over a stove. Throwing everything in the Instant Pot will give you a delicious soup in about 40 minutes flat.
If you need more Instant Pot soup inspiration, we can’t get enough of this Instant Pot Lentil Soup.
2 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
6 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 c. plus 2 tbsp. milk, divided
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. heavy cream
Freshly ground black pepper
Shredded cheddar, for serving
Chopped cooked bacon, for serving
Freshly chopped chives, for serving
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté function and melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add potatoes and broth and place lid on Instant Pot. Set to Pressure Cook on High and set time for 8 minutes. Once finished, turn valve to quick release.
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons milk and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Remove lid from Instant Pot and set to Sauté function again. Pour in slurry, remaining 1 cup milk, and heavy cream and let boil about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cheddar, bacon, and chives before serving.