- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or another cooking oil such as canola oil or sunflower oil)
- 1/2 large onion (chopped)
- Optional: 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 carrots (sliced and peeled)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (chopped, try cauliflower, zucchini, or green beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or 8 cups water + 2 cubes vegetable bouillon)
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes (undrained)
- Optional: Parmesan cheese or Parmesan cheese substitute
Steps to Make It:
1-Gather the ingredients
2-Heat oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add the chopped onion, optional minced garlic, chopped celery, and sliced carrots. Sauté, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, until onions are soft but do not let them brown.
3-Add your choice of mixed chopped vegetables and heat for 1 to 2 minutes more. Do not let them brown.
4-Add salt, garlic powder, thyme, and oregano stirring to coat the vegetables well.
5-Add bay leaf, vegetable broth or water mixed with bouillon cubes, and undrained tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat, and simmer until the vegetables are tender – about 8 to 12 minutes.
6-Adjust seasonings to taste.
7-Remove the bay leaf and serve your homemade vegetable soup with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese or Parmesan cheese substitute and some crusty bread or crackers.